As well as being a traditional community pharmacy with three locations in the Enid area, Family Pharmacy also has a specialized compounding laboratory at our main location where all of our compounded medications are prepared by a compounding specialist. Compounding is the Art and Science of creating personalized medications.
Family Pharmacy is a member of the Professional Compounding Center of America (PCCA), an internationally recognized compounding organization that sources our compounding formulas and ingredients. We work closely with PCCA and the physicians in our area to find appropriate solutions that best serve our patients’ healthcare needs. We are committed to providing high-quality compounded medications in the dosage form and strength prescribed by healthcare providers.
The "one size fits all" of mass produced pharmaceuticals doesn't work for everyone.
Many patients experience issues such as:
- Stomach upset when taking oral medication
- Reluctance to take the medication due to its taste
- Issues with the route of administration, such as difficulty swallowing pills
- Allergy, sensitivity, or other aversion to ingredients such as flavors or dyes, lactose, sugar, alcohol, gluten, or casein.
- Requiring a different dose of medication than that which is available from a manufacturer
- Difficulty keeping track of multiple medications
- Patients who need a medication that has been discontinued by the manufacturer
- Patients who don’t want to take medication at all, especially children or pets
A compounding pharmacist may be able to provide solutions for challenges such as these. Working closely with the patient and the prescriber, compounding gives the pharmacist the means to customize medication to meet the individual needs of each patient.
At one time, all medications were compounded. Over the past few decades, compounding has experienced a renaissance as modern technology and innovative techniques and research have allowed more pharmacists to customize medications to meet specific patient needs.
At Family Pharmacy, customer service is our passion and compounding is just one of the many services that we provide!